Friday, April 15, 2011

PATW

About two and a half weeks until I take my first business trip without Rhea. I am very excited to go to the Public Affairs Training Workshop in Nevada. As both a broadcaster and print journalist in the National Guard it is odd that my skills in these areas have atrophied. I find myself doing more office work and lacking the time to devote myself to the more artistic side of my career. I keep lists, answer media queries and send out new releases. These things aren’t fun. I love my job but I am frustrated that I’m more reactive than proactive. So I’m embracing the PATW. This is a chance for me to really focus on the weaker side of my skill set. I am more than sad that I’ll have to leave Rhea for the four days. A part of me is very upset about this because I will miss her terribly. Another secret part of me is excited. I love being a mom, more than I ever thought I could, but this will be FOUR DAYS of uninterrupted showers. I will be able to sleep in!Holy cow poop, what am I going to do with myself? Also this will be a chance of Erik to bond with his daughter. By bond I mean be solely responsible for her health and well being. I’ve already warned the in-laws that they will offer limited assistance or face my wraith. Not that I want him to have a bad time, I just want him to fully immerse himself in parenting. I won’t be there to micromanage everything and I’m excited to see him really be present. I usually handle90% of Rhea’s care. (Because I am a tiny bit of a control freak…) So What? I also will probably have a mental breakdown while I’m gone because he doesn’t wash her hair the way I do. I know I’m ridiculous. I would have been more excited if they had been able to come with me but this isn’t bad either.

1 comment:

Antiope said...

I'm excited to hear how this works out for you - how long did it take you to save up enough breast milk to last while you were gone? What kind of storage did you use in your freezer, bags or hard containers? What sizes did you freeze in (how many ounces)? I assume you continued pumping while you were at the workshop - how often did you pump? Sorry for all the questions... I am going away for 5 days next month, and as usual you are blazing the trail for me. :)