Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prepping for spring

I want to grow some vegatables so I can cut some costs at the grocery store. I'm not sure how large it's going to be. Mostly container gardening though because our soil is pretty raunchy. So definately string beans, some form of loose leaf lettuce and summer squash. I'm not sure what else. Any suggestions?

I should get started soon.
Monday is the start of my last week of maternity leave. Rhea starts daycare on March 1. I'm sad that I won't be spending all day with her but I'm also happy to be getting back to work.

1 comment:

Antiope said...

Herbs are pretty easy to grow in containers, so are strawberries. Tomatoes also do really well in containers, but I saw that you don't like them. :)

You could alwasys make some raised planting beds (pretty easy to construct, then you just have to buy the soil) and plant things in there. If you want to grow any root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets), a raised bed will be easier anyway, so you can get to them without having to dig in the ground.